Helping Schools Deliver The Skills Business Needs
We are looking to recruit a network of high calibre businesspeople to become Enterprise Advisers.
Not only is this an opportunity to help inspire the next generation, it is also a chance to develop our future workforce by aligning employment needs to skills that people gain through schools and colleges.
In 2014, in his third and final report, Enterprise for All, Lord Young said Enterprise Advisers should have an enthusiasm and dedication to help young people realise their potential by using opportunities that enterprise can offer. He said: “I propose that Enterprise Advisers will advise headteachers and teachers on the ways employers can engage with schools, drawing on advice from key local partners, including those that offer careers advice. I would envisage the advisers are drawn from all sectors of the economy and are not only restricted to entrepreneurs.”
It is envisaged that our advisers will work closely with the Senior Leadership Team in local schools and colleges to support them in developing their careers and enterprise strategies and employer engagement plans, drawing on your own local business networks.
Becoming an Enterprise Adviser is a unique opportunity to support a school or college in improving opportunities for young people, and it is also a chance to join a network of like-minded peers.
We are looking for people who are:
• Passionate about motivating young people, supporting independent choice and positive outcomes for young people.
• Able to work effectively with employers and schools and colleges.
• Well established with employers of all sizes including self-employed people and related networks
• Knowledgeable and understanding of the local labour market and a willing to promote
• Motivated to lead engagement with schools and colleges in the local area and help them understand how they are motivating young people for the world of work.
• Knowledgeable of the support available and understand how young people, the school and college benefit from this support.
The Enterprise Adviser will work with a school or college on a one-to-one basis. The Enterprise Adviser will be matched and introduced to that school or college by the Enterprise Coordinator:
Be committed to supporting a school or college for at least one academic year, committing a minimum of one day per month.
• With the support of the senior leadership team, develop, shape or add value to the school or college’s careers, enterprise and employer engagement strategy.
• Working with the Enterprise Coordinator, conduct an initial diagnostic and support the school or college in identifying priority areas for support.
• Use their contacts to encourage a wider group of employers or the self-employed to work with the school or college to help them enhance their careers, enterprise and employer engagement strategies.
• With expert sector knowledge of their sector, commit to developing a good understanding of the wider employment base in their locality.
• Engage in the LEP Enterprise Adviser induction programmes.
• Join the LEP Enterprise Adviser network and attend network meetings.
• Share best practice across the network and provide support to other Enterprise Advisers
• Utilise the resources provided by the Enterprise Coordinator such as the toolkit.
• Promote the role of Enterprise Advisers amongst existing contacts and networks to contribute to the recruitment of new Enterprise Advisers.
Benefits to employers
• The chance to support the development of your future workforce.
• Easier access to schools and colleges.
• The opportunity to become part of a local network.
• A forum for employers to discuss. and work together to resolve local skills issues.
• Great opportunities to develop your own employees.
• There are lots of opportunities for your employees to get involved either as volunteer Enterprise Advisers or supporting other activities.
All Enterprise Advisors will need to be DBS checked.
If you are interested in this role for our area please email your details to: Louise Lunn, Enterprise Coordinator, York, North Yorkshire and East Riding Enterprise Partnership at [email protected]
More information can be found about the project at www.careersandenterprise.co.uk