York and North Yorkshire Growth Hub work with tourism bodies to support the sector overcome the economic impacts of COVID 1919 October 2020
COVID 19 restrictions have had a huge impact on our region’s tourism sector. The sector represents £9bn of our region’s economy and plays a vital role in strengthening other sectors, such hospitality and food production.
During the pandemic, the York and North Yorkshire Growth Hub have been allocated emergency funds to aid response to the crisis. Working with key partners, Welcome to Yorkshire and Discover Yorkshire Coast, programmes of support have been put in place to help the sector emerge from the challenge with resilience.
Support for tourism businesses includes:
- Delivering the Tourism Kick Start grant programme, having secured £260,000 from central government this is to be used to fund projects of up to £3,000 which help businesses in the Visitor Economy to find new ways of working in the Covid pandemic and beyond.
- Working with Welcome To Yorkshire, and Discover Yorkshire Coast on boosting their membership and offering specialist tourism support to their members.
- Employing a new Business Relationship manager to cover the Borough of Scarborough alone, so offering a dedicated coastal service for the first time.
- Delivering a series of webinars aimed specifically at the tourism industry.
- Funding specialist consultants in the visitor economy to work with tourism businesses on ways in which they can reach new markets, offer new products and services, and make the best of the premises and assets they have.
- Delivering a series of Peer To Peer support programmes which will be focused on the tourism industry.
- Supporting market towns to become more resilient through funding membership of the ecommerce platform ShopAppy.com, and other partnerships of this kind are in the pipeline.
Welcome to Yorkshire have also launched some business support initiatives including digital support, a new membership programme and a Yorkshire Gift Card (YGC), launching mid-October/early November, to help to capitalise on the Christmas gift market. YGC is an initiative to help inject cash back into the Yorkshire Economy, and over 150 businesses have registered to accept the gift card across the county.
A Plan to Reshape our Economy
Following on from our vision launch for a greener, fairer, stronger economic recovery for YNY, the LEP has worked with all LAs and partner organisations region-wide to develop a plan to reshape the region’s economy in order to address the challenges and opportunities arising from the pandemic.
Read the full Plan to Reshape our Economy here.
Impact of the plan on reshaping the economy will be measured by successful delivery against the 10 pledges. Read the pledge stories on our news page here.
Join us on Friday 6 November for our annual conference.
Held online for the first time, the conference will focus on a Greener, Fairer, Stronger vision for reshaping the York & North Yorkshire economy and how we can work together to achieve this.
Register here: https://ynylepannualconference2020.register-me.uk/